March 7, 2020
Dear Students and Tutors,
We at the Oakland Literacy Council are aware of the evolving situation regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19). We want to inform you that at this time, there have been no known cases of the COVID-19 virus in the State of Michigan. However, it is important for all of us to be diligent in protecting ourselves from this virus and other illnesses as the situation is likely to change.
We have been talking to our partners at the Oakland County Health Department and they want you to know that all of us should be practicing everyday preventive actions now. Remind everyone in your household of the importance of practicing everyday preventive actions that can help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects daily (e.g., tables, countertops, light switches, doorknobs, and cabinet handles) using a regular household detergent and water.
- If surfaces are dirty, they should be cleaned using a detergent and water prior to disinfection. For disinfection, a list of products with Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-approved emerging viral pathogens claims, maintained by the American Chemistry Council Center for Biocide Chemistries (CBC), is available at Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Fighting Products. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for all cleaning and disinfection products.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Always wash your hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
Follow the Centers for Disease Control Travel Guidelines
We are also asking you to follow the CDC travel guidelines if you are traveling out of the country. There are currently guidelines for China, Italy, South Korea, and Iran. Please refer to the website if you plan to travel. Please do not meet with your tutor (or student) if you have been advised to self-quarantine. Please call the office at 248.253.1617 if you are unable to meet or you need to reschedule a test.
Please continue to follow the recommendations from our public health officials. Information can be found at:
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control– https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- The State of Michigan- https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus. The State of Michigan has also produced these fact sheets:
- Frequently Asked Questions About Coronavirus Disease 2019
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 Fact Sheet – English
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 Fact Sheet – Traditional Chinese
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 Fact Sheet – Simplified Chinese
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 Fact Sheet – Spanish
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 Fact Sheet – Arabic
- Oakland County Health Department– https://www.oakgov.com/health/information/covid-19/Pages/default.aspx.
- The Oakland County Health Department also has a nurse on call that can answer any questions. You can call them at 1-800-848-5533 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you email the nurse in advance and tell them what language you want, they will find a translator in over 90 languages.
Practice Your English
There are so many new words to learn. Use this time to practice English. Here are some resources:
Lesson Plan Ideas
- Review Fact sheets from the State of Michigan (above)